Monday, September 29, 2008

[119]MTSU FRESHMAN CADETS HAVE VETERAN CREDENTIALS, LEGACIES

Release date: Sept. 29, 2008


News & Public Affairs contact: Randy Weiler, 615-898-2919
MTSU Military Science contact: Lt. Col. Michael Walsh, 615-898-2470


MTSU FRESHMAN CADETS HAVE VETERAN CREDENTIALS, LEGACIES

(MURFREESBORO) — Jason Stisser is not a typical 18-year-old cadet who has become part of MTSU’s Military Science and ROTC program. Stisser is a true freshman, although he has taken one online course in Arabic.
But at 25 and after being deployed with various units to Iraq, he does have a leg up on classmates Wendell Bryant of Ooltewah, Jonathan Hartsfield of Old Hickory and Joshua Wilcox of Clarksville.
“It’s an interesting transition,” Stisser said, acknowledging his move from military to college student. “I’m low man on the totem pole. My rank is MS1 cadet. I’ve got a huge learning curve on these 18-year-old guys. I will try to help guide them along as best as I can.
“My goals are to be involved in one or two of the programs. I want to walk out of here making good use of taxpayer dollars.”
Stisser is attending MTSU, what he considers his hometown university and where he wants to be, on the U.S. Army’s Green to Gold Scholarship.
“MTSU has the most to offer,” said Stisser, who said he would be a mathematics major. “They have a great math department. And the ROTC program here is excellent.”
He said the “military bug is something I picked up when I was young. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.”
Stisser graduated from Nashville’s Stratford High School but served as cadet corps commander one semester in the Air Force Junior ROTC program in which he participated at Maplewood High.
Wilcox, a Kenwood High School graduate, will be following in his father’s footsteps. Sylvester Wilcox retired as a sergeant first class from the U.S. Army.
At MTSU, Joshua Wilcox plans to major in aerospace. “I’m hoping to get into the aviation field and fly helicopters for the Army,” he said.
Wilcox said he chose MTSU because it’s close to his home and he “knew about the (MTSU) ROTC program because I did JROTC in high school all four years.”
He added that his mother, Tammy Wilcox, “has been a big supporter.”
For MTSU news and information, go to mtsunews.com.
###

No comments: